Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Album Review: Kingslyn - "Drunken Country Curse"

If you are in any way familiar with the South Carolina music scene, Erich Skelton is a name that should sound very familiar. I came upon Skelton's music during the Marry A Thief days, and immediately fell in love with his unique voice, pop sound, and heartfelt lyrics of heartache. The Marry A Thief sound featured layers of synth, drum loops, and other electronic magnificence, but with Kingslyn, Skelton returns to his pre-Marry A Thief sound,  featuring only a few different instruments on each track. Skelton told the Free Times “Things in Marry a Thief got way too electronic and messy, not like the stuff I actually listen to, I felt like I lost control of the music I was making. I like what we did with that band, but it’s not ultimately what I want to do. I took some time to think about it, and it just made more sense to do something with real instruments.” While broken down, Skelton still grabs a hold on you and keeps you captivated from start to finish

The 7 track cd was produced with ex Marry A Thief member Justin Register and is available on iTunes and almost anywhere else. You can also find them on myspace and facebook to keep up to date with the band and future shows and records.

No comments:

Post a Comment